11.12.2008

What could have been

I'm a wife (established May 2008), daughter, friend, hopefully someday a mommy but right now mommy to two kitties, sierra and tiger. I'm a also a [insert occupation here]. For a long time I defined myself by my occupation, and to an extent I think I still do. Whenever asked to describe myself that's usually the first thing that comes out of my mouth. "Hi! My name is Aileen and I'm a [my occupation]." I like what I do but whenever people ask me why I'm in the field that I am in, this is usually the answer that comes out of my mouth: "You know those high school surveys that you take that match your skill set, well whenever I took those [my occupation] would always come up so I figured, okay, I'll be a [my occupation]". Most people I know went to college not knowing what they wanted to do and college is part of that self-discovery to lead you to that path of becoming whatever it is you discover it to be. I went straight from high school with a firm (at least that's what it seemed like at the time) decision on what I wanted to be. College was simply a means to get to graduate school to become what I am now. I went to grad school and am now [my occupation]. I've been doing this for 7 years now and I like to think I still like it, and hope to continue liking it as I've got a long time before retirement. But part of me always wonders if I hadn't gone on the straight path what else I could have ended up doing.

No comments: